Monday, February 16, 2009

favorite quote in "The Poetics of Space" by Gaston Bachelard

My favorite quote in the book is "start form the center, at the very heart of the circle from where the whole thing derives is source and meaning: and here we come back again to that forgotten, outcast word, the soul." which is found in the introduction.  The author is talking about Rouault's painting.

To me this quote describes how I design and also how I think the best way of designing is.  I think no matter what you are working on, you should always start in the center and work yourself out. This statement doesn't necessarily mean you have to literally start at the center point of the room, but one should focus on the main focus: the person/s in the space.  Also, one should express their own special experiences that is kept deep down in the center of one's heart or mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment